Job Description: Financial Planning Intern
- GW Financial, Inc. is an independent, fee-only wealth management and financial planning firm focused on examining and implementing important financial decisions with clients in their effort to achieve financial autonomy. Our firm is female owned, operated, and led. We currently have around 120 clients and are looking to maintain and grow on a slow, steady pace. We have dedicated meeting locations for clients but our team works virtually.
- We enjoy working with professionals and families that want a solid financial plan as well as those transitioning to or settled in retirement. We seek to help families transition wealth from one generation to the next. We also selectively work with non-profits, organizations, and endowments in balancing their financial obligations with their missions to make the world a better place.
- Growth Mindset: Value learning not just for yourself, but for clients as well. Pursue life-long learning and collaborative training as part of our team. Provide solutions to problems by determining the next step to be taken to complete the project.
- Connection: Protect and encourage the energy that exists between people when they feel seen, heard, and valued, to derive sustenance and strength from the relationship. Give and receive feedback without judgement.
- Transparency: Provide open and clear communication to clients, to the team, and to our Leadership Team. Deliver productive honesty in the right time and place.
- Financial Advocacy: Champion partnering with the right people to help clients achieve financial well-being and dignity in aging. Work towards financial autonomy and navigate life transitions in your personal life.
GW Financial, Inc. is seeking a financial planning intern for approximately 15 hours/week for a 6-month period. The ideal candidate will have a passion for financial planning and be detail-oriented, focused, and process-driven. The ability to follow detailed workflows and processes, while working independently is a must. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to learn how an advisory firm operates, as well as gaining experience in customer service, custodial paperwork, and entry-level financial planning, as a steppingstone to developing their career in the financial services industry.
- This is a great opportunity for an undergraduate student or career-changer interested in a financial planning career.
- As the business grows and you demonstrate aptitude, opportunities may arise to adjust your position with GW Financial, Inc., and attend live virtual client meetings to advance your knowledge and skills.
- Participate in client meeting preparation, practice financial planning, and put in hours using the programs and technologies advisors operate daily.
- Gain valuable mentorship from team members across all positions in the advisory firm, as well as from established CFP ® Professionals.
- Start building a career that offers autonomy to excel in accordance with your strengths and skills, while affording freedom and flexibility to work where you want.
- Develop project management skills by using workflows, tasks, and accountability metrics. Polish your written and verbal communication skills with the team and with clients.
- Train individually with each team member, and complete projects in every department, using various technologies, to understand how an advisory firm operates.
- Complete a full financial plan for a real-life client using our financial planning software and in-house templates for client-facing deliverables.
- College undergraduates must be a junior or senior in a bachelor’s degree program
- Attention to detail with exceptional organizational skills
- Motivated self-starter (will be expected to self-manage and meet deadlines)
- Ability to follow workflows built, tested, maintained, and operated daily by our team
- Willingness to learn new programs and software as needed
- Tech-savvy, solution-focused, and resourceful
- Above-average written and verbal communication skills and comfortable with direct communication
- Trustworthy, ethical, and hardworking
- Bonus points for:
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree in financial planning
- Currently a senior, or recently graduated from a Financial Planning Degree Program
- Experience with eMoney, RedTail, Zoom, Text Expander, ShareFile, Loom, JotForm, Microsoft Products (i.e. Outlook, Teams, etc.)
Compensation & Perks:
- Hours per Week to Work: 10-15 on average
- Length of Internship: 6 months
- Compensation Range per Hour: $12-$15 per hour
- Technology Provided during internship, to be returned upon completion: laptop computer and docking station
- Work Schedule: Calls with the team or with clients will be required during business hours. Independent projects can be completed outside of business hours as long as they are completed by the assigned due date.
- Work Location: 100% virtual
- Complete the Pre-Interview Survey in 10-15 minutes using this link. Before beginning the survey, please ensure that you are in the location where you will be working most of the time and have your cover letter and resume ready to upload. We will notify you when we receive your application. Cover letters should be no longer than 1 page, and should answer the following questions:
- You could choose any profession out there. What interests you about financial planning or becoming a financial advisor?
- How would you describe your work ethic?
- Where do you see yourself in 3 years?
- Which of the responsibilities listed in the job description most energizes you and why?
- When uploading the cover letter and resume at the end of the survey, please use our company’s file naming format: YYYY MMDD File Name (Your Name). Examples: 2020 0315 Cover Letter (Jane Doe) or 2021 0315 Resume (John Doe)
- Applications will be accepted until the end of day on February 20, 2022. We will not be reviewing applications until that time.
- After the job application window closes, we will review every application and will email each applicant about whether or not we will be moving forward.
- This application process is being handled by Ellevate Advisors. Please direct all questions or concerns to Brooklyn@EllevateAdvisors.com. Any applications received outside of the Pre-Interview Survey link will not be considered.
Employment with GW Financial, Inc. is not guaranteed beyond the scope of the internship.